• A vivid imagination which makes readers engage with and enjoy their writing
• A highly developed vocabulary and an excellent knowledge of writing techniques to extend details or description
• Well-organised and structured writing, which includes a variety of sentence structures
• Excellent transcription skills that ensure their writing is well presented and punctuated, spelled correctly and neat
• A love of writing and an appreciation of its educational, cultural and entertainment values
Many of our children have had their writing published. How fantastic is that?
Our titles include ....
Ladies and gentlemen it is a pleasure to introduce our Writing Champions!
PUPIL VOICE: ATTITUDES TO WRITING (NOVEMBER 19)
94% of our pupils agree with the statement 'Writing is more fun when you can choose the topic.'
94% of pupils agree with the statement 'The more I write the better my writing gets.'
75% of pupils agree with the statement 'Writing is Cool.'
54% of pupils agree with the statement 'Girls tend to enjoy writing more than boys.'
91% of pupils disagreed with the statement 'I would be embarrassed if friends saw me writing.'
69% of pupils prefer to write with a pen or pencil.
31% of pupils prefer to write on a computer.
100% of pupils say that they write outside of the classroom.
48% of pupils write in a diary.
61% of pupils like to write in silence.
30% of pupils like to write with music in the background.
87% of pupils said they enjoy writing.
What do good writers do?
93% of pupils said they use their imagination.
81% of pupils said they use punctuation correctly.
79% of pupils said they check their work.
67% of pupils said they know how to spell.
76% of pupils said they read a lot.
Here are just some of the wonderful things our pupils said about writing at Lawrence:
'I love writing because I can become whoever I want to be. I can travel anywhere in the universe. I can be the hero or the villain.' Subeer Year 6
'Writing is very important because we use it all the time. I like writing because you can use it to entertain people.' Kiran Y6
Special thanks to our Writing Champions for carrying out the survey into attitudes towards reading at Lawrence!
READING AND WRITING DEEP DIVES: OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2019
As a result of our deep dives into reading and writing during autumn 2019, we as a staff have agreed to make explicit in each unit of work:
Our Writing Champions launch our Creative Writing Competition! #